Sunday, December 21, 2008

Winter Solstice

As the sun begins to set on the shortest day of the year, I am proud of myself for not getting too down about the weather and winter.
I wish we had a tradition for today.
I love the idea of celebrating the changing of the seasons.
One of my professors in college ran through the woods in her running shoes only to celebrate spring - at least that is what I heard...

I think maybe that will be something I will ponder on and talk through with MD. Maybe we can come up with some traditions for the solstice and equinox days of the year.

Do you do anything to celebrate the seasons?

UPDATE: AFTER DOING A 15 MINUTES SEARCH ON THE WEB, THERE ISN'T MUCH OUT THERE FOR CELEBRATION IDEAS FOR WINTER SOLSTICE. I REALLY THINK FOR ME IT NEEDS TO BE A PERSONAL CELEBRATION OF NATURE SO I GUESS I WILL NEED TO DO A BIT MORE THINKING ON THE SUBJECT. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT SO FAR.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We celebrate Christopher's Birthday!
He is 24 today.
That didn't answer your question, but that is how I will always remember the Winter Solstice. Having your first baby is just the best. Sorry Dane, they love you lots, but there is something about that first....

Meema said...

OK, what prof was that???

Janis said...

We do. All four. Christmas, Easter, Independence day, and RRen Fest, which lapses slowly into Halloween. Works out pretty well. Btw, it really bugs me when the right-wing refers to all non-Christans as Pagans, especially when we've plagiarized so many traditions, like trees.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it was after Mom died, for awhile we gatherer with you sister and were on the praire and make a fire of evergreen boughs and talked about our mothers and grandmothers - I think you might have missed it. In our band's CD that is due out in Feb- we have a song by one of the guys called "The Timber City Vernal Equinox Rag" at least close to the idea - I play my trombone on it - we have various odd sounds - including one of us speaking in a "W.C. Fields voice over. It is really quite fun - but of course how many of you have heard of this man? And ps - any pics of the Spring run? Just kidding. love, DMajor

Anonymous said...

A ps from DMajor
Sorry I did not check the spelling on that first post --It looked bad!!
More to the point I wanted to get my 2 cents in - in favor of the Pagans. Think of all the time they were around - if the latest estimate for
H S s is correct,Pagans have been on Earth for at least 100,000 years before Christ - I say give the Pagans a break!!