Monday, May 12, 2008

Do you have friends that think differently than you do?

I read the news. I feel like I am fairly well informed. I am about ready to boycott news.

Lately I have just felt overwhelmed by the abundance of the 'we are all going to be in a handbasket soon' type news. All of the coverage of global warming, natural disasters, wars, and politics has got me in a funk. Now on NPR today I heard a conversation about how I would be a better person if I had more friends that were republican leaning. I don't think I can do it! I am over exaggerating a bit - it won't make me a better person but a more informed one.

The interview I was listening to was with pair of people that were friends but one was a Democrat and one was a Republican - or liberal and conservative.

Did you hear this conversation? Are you friends with people who think differently than you do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my very best of friends and I have disagreed on almost everything for over 35 years. We argue religon, politics, and every other topic that friends are supposed to avoid. The long term result - from my side - is a deeper interest in being very honest and not playing games in our discussions - even then, I feel it is very difficult to not get plain mad at him sometimes - the"know it all"!