Monday, June 9, 2008

The stuff that I have to remember

Coming home from daycare today - I saw some driver throw their cigarette butt out the window and of course I made some comment and of course my daughter hears me.

'Mom, what is a cigarette?'
'Oh... it is a stick that people smoke and then litter on the ground. And we all know that litter is bad - right B?'
'Yeah! And we don't want to eat litter either - do we Mom.'
'Right.'

She also picked right up on the naughty word I used and used it correctly the other day.

You know when you are a new parent - you have all this energy to stop swearing and eat right and lose that extra weight blah blah blah - and then they get older and you spend all that energy just trying to get them to keep their fingers out of their nose and mouth and don't have a lot left for the other things. So I apologize in advance if my daughter uses some bad language in your presence. Please know that I had a weak moment.
:)

2 comments:

Meema said...

If I ran the world, people who chose to mindlessly toss their highly non-biodegradable cigarette butts out the window/on the sidewalk/into the landscaping would have to eat one as part of their community service sentence.

Disgusting, yes, but my negotiating starts there.

Cate said...

I totally agree Meema!

I have this fantasy where I get out of my car, pick up the butt, knock on the car window and say 'You dropped this.'

My other fantasy is the butt is still lit and I throw it in the car.

Bad Cate.