Saturday, July 4, 2009

Lightning Bugs

B and I ran around outside last night and caught lightning bugs.
It brought me back to my own childhood.

Then MD asked if I had told her about smearing the bugs light and seeing what happens.
I told him we didn't advocate that kind of behavior. I wouldn't even let her catch them and keep them in a bottle - why would I let her kill them. Ugh.

Sorry - no pictures - maybe tonight. I have promised we would go out every night to catch bugs.

2 comments:

Meema said...

I'm with you, Caytie.

That being said, here's my story: a lightning bug met its end on my windshield years ago. Splotch. Then I made the mistake of trying to clean it off with my not-so-new wipers - I had an interesting and kinda distracting phosphorescent arc on my windshield for miles.

Hope you guys catch many more - enjoy your Fourth, AnderClan!!

Ellen said...

Actually, when I was a kid - in the ancient times, long, long ago - we took off their little tails and put them on our fingers pretending they were ring (the stone part anyway). As close as I ever came to a glowing ring on my left index finger. I presume the bugs died thereafter. We had no qualms - us Iowa kids were inured to minor pain.