Sunday, August 8, 2010

Social Norms

I find being with my 2 year old refreshing in a lot of ways.
He asks lots of questions that are off-limits for an adult to bring up but a 2 yr old can.

Today we were walking up the block and a man and woman were walking in front of us obviously just after some sort of exercise.
'Why isn't that man wearing a shirt?'
'Why is the other man wearing a shirt?' (It was a woman with a pony tail so obviously he wasn't paying attention...)
'What's that man's name?'
'Where is that man going?'

These are some examples of the questions I answered as we were walking behind them. I especially like the social norm questions. Why do men get to be in public without a shirt but women can't? I wanted to answer that it's because men can't control themselves around breasts. Obviously I didn't say that - but I have a hard time explaining why some things are the way they are.

If any of you want to borrow my 2 year old for some good fun - let me know. He usually talks loud enough for the person to hear at least his side of the  conversation so that makes it extra fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally amazed how children learn our norms - noticed on the net today a polling on positions about Gay Marriage - no one under 30 seems to give a darn about it one way or the other. I remember when I was early in my 20's and were so puzzled about the over 30's crowd paranoia about the Communist's. We just did not see the problem - As Heraclitus states so clearly - "All is movement"
And I say, we all learn to adapt. MajD

Ellen said...

So how did you explain that naked breasted man? Does it make you feel inadequate when you have to answer so many questions with "I don't know."?