Sunday, October 12, 2008

Rememberance


Almost a year ago today, my Grandma B died. She was the grandparent that I got to know the best. When I was growing up, my mom always said I was a lot like Grandma B. A bit contrary, athletic, loved cats and books.

Grandma was very good at sewing. When my sister and I were little, she made us both quilts. I loved mine. It was a thick blanket with small squares of different fabric on top and a soft backing. She also made quilts for both of my kids. Such special gifts made by loving hands.

I think of Grandma often. I think about her when my daughter eats bread because she loved bread. I think of her when I shop at the thrift store because she loved to find a good bargain. I think of her when I put the quilts over the kids at night. Everyday things.

The picture to the right was taken after B was born. Here we are, 4 generations of Newland women. Happy, a bit contrary, and always looking for that bargain.

1 comment:

Meema said...

What a great photo! You'll be sharing many stories of your grandmother with the kids, I'm sure.