Thursday, February 11, 2010

Turn It Up!

Growing up, I listened to the radio lots. My favorite station was K104. I remember listening to the top 10 on Sunday's with Casey Kasem in the car while my parents were in church at coffee fellowship, making mix tapes, and even calling in one time to win something. (I didn't... )

At some point - I stopped listening to popular radio. It must have been college. I was getting lots of new music from all the new people I was meeting. I remember listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers in my freshman dorm room and just dancing around and singing at the top of my lungs. Good stuff.

I have started listening to popular music on the radio again. I never had stopped listening to NPR/MPR but recently I have decided I don't need to listen to in depth stories about Iraq, Republicans, or Crime. I did hear some interesting discussion on the space program recently - which was inspiring but also a little depressing. But I digress.

So now when we drive to daycare in the morning - B wants to listen to Greg and Melissa on 94.5. Really? Okay - because so do I. Today they were playing with an iPhone app that uses Auto Tune. One of the producers - Trey? - sang a song that he dedicated to all the ladies. It was pretty funny.

My other outlet for new music is Pandora.com. I have found a couple of new artists that I am excited to learn more about. I hate to say it but I like Jordin Sparks.  'Just for the Record' and 'No Air' are two of my favorites right now.

Okay - I am off to jam with my headphones on and the music turned up!

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I listened to radio as a child too, but in my day it was serial adventure shows - Sky King, Straight Arrow, The Lone Ranger, etc. And my college music was focused on the Kingston Trio. A generation gap for sure.

I appreciate your comments on my blog. It helps me to know someone is reading it. I've been a little lax in keeping it up recently, but I'm not ready to give it up.

When will we know about our new music director?

Anonymous said...

my latest is Radio Paradise- They have a deal where you can upload a song you record and then as it is listened to, people can vote it up or down - if it gets a good rating it stays on and is played - eventually, it gets put on the main site. So far we have had one song from our cd on - Star of the County Down - been on for a year now - I suspect everytime it is played one of our band is voting over and over for it! My favourite band as a kid was WLS out of Chicago. Maj D

Cate said...

I found Radio Paradise. Fun site. I love finding new music.